Thursday 28 May 2015

zebra crossings & pedestrian etiquette

I don't know about you, but I really enjoy zebra crossings. I wouldn't say that they make me feel important, no. I wouldn't say that... But stopping traffic certainly gives me a heavier swag.

**
Australia is one of the few countries I've been to that has strict laws on cars giving way to pedestrians on zebra crossings. And it's wonderful. You don't need to travel profusely to be able to draw the comparison between crossing in Australia and crossing in, say, America. Or Eastern Europe. Or Asia. Perhaps even Tasmania. If you haven't travelled, it'll be difficult to describe the multifaceted thoughts, feelings and emotions when you attempt a zebra crossing in a country that doesn't give the pedestrian right of way. 

In saying that, you'll still get some in Australia who slam on the breaks as if they're only stopping to avoid jail time. And then there are those that never technically stop. They just continue to eeeever-soooo-sssslowly inch closer to you. Still, it's not as bad as being forced to risk your safety or dignity, where you might find yourself resembling the main character in a stop motion film. Sometimes it can get so bad and impossible to cross that you contemplate spending your entire trip on the one side of the road. Even if it's only empty warehouses and shipping containers. You question your religious and political views, and feel cornered like a single dad at his kid's soccer practice. 

But back to Australia. I'm always confused on what the pedestrian etiquette is. When you're checking if it's safe at the crossing and a car stops for you, do you wave? Do you nod? Do you rush? Do you sign 'call me'? Or do you just walk straight through like a swaggy boss? I like to be polite and flick a wrist in their direction, but I wonder whether that would set up a standard where they expect to be thanked for being law-abiding citizens/visa-holders. After all, it's not like they're holding the door open for me.

Do you even wait at all, though? Do you strut right through without looking because it's your right of way? I've seen too many cars drive right through in front of me like I was this feeble wafer that could only be seen if I faced them front on. Maybe they didn't see me/saw me too late/don't give a shit. Sometimes I feel like jaywalking might be a little safer. You're more inclined to dowhatchamummatoldya and check if you're clear of cars. 

I don't know, man. Things like this keep me up at night.



No comments:

Post a Comment