Thursday 21 May 2015

postponing prograstination & name nicknames

Sometimes when I recognise someone and can't immediately figure out where I know them from, I assume they're someone famous. Until the process of elimination starts and I eventually realise they're my neighbour's nanny. 


As an "experienced" university student, I'm well acquainted with the art of procrastination. So much so that I've learned to procrastinate while procrastinating. My writing this post is a perfect example. It's become so bad that I've even tried to set aside some time to procrastinate - and only procrastinate. I've allotted time to do nothing. I thought it would be an easy way to strike off an item from my To Do list and help with my overall organisation. But instead of using my procrastination time to procrastinate, I end up trying to finish some work. The mind is a tricky little thing, no?

Consider the way you try to remember someone's name. If you compartmentalise your life - family, friends, university, work - you tend to recognised people and recall their names after you've given them some context. 
"Oh right, you were that jerk from work who stole my banana mash." 
Sometimes those compartments can be a little extensive and it takes a lot longer to figure out where you know that person from. And sometimes you just have to straight up ask them. It's hard not to feel shitty about it. Especially when they remember your name. 
"Franky! How are you?"
"Heyyyyyyyy... you."
There are some sneaky ways to get around without asking, but if you get caught out, it'll be a pickle and a half to get out of. Here are 4 I like to cycle through:

  1. Avoid using any names. Not just theirs. Don't mention anyone's name, it'll be less obvious that you don't use theirs. If you need to refer to someone else, use "mate" or whatever equivalent you feel comfortable with. Be careful you don't give them the impression that you're closer than you clearly are.
  2. You're in a rush. You'd love to keep chatting and catch up, but you've got an appointment with a doctor about a rash. 
  3. Excuse yourself, and go to the bathroom. If you're Facebook friends, you've got a good chance of finding them. Or call/text a friend. Maybe even ask the audience.
  4. Give them a nickname. They've never heard it? You should be insulted. How could they forget! Hopefully they'll drop their name in an attempt to link it to the nickname.

I predict much regret in my near future for posting this. 

In all seriousness, it shouldn't be taken as an insult if someone momentarily misplaced your name in their internal Bermuda Triangle. Don't be a dick about it. It happens to everyone, and I guarantee you won't feel as bad as the person who can't place you. You don't know how they live their lives, so laugh it out and carry on. Your day won't be worse for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment