Thursday 30 July 2015

common commuter & new chapter

I recall once noticing that the end of my scarf was sweeping back and forth over a particularly unpalatable mini-village of leftovers between my seat and the wall.


**
I've recently started attending a new university in a different city. It's all still pretty fresh and novel, and I'm still bubbling with excitement despite pulling up my sleeves to criticise the current state of public transport. And I feel a little silly writing this post so soon after my rant about Gold Coast transport being dirty and off-putting. I'm going to come across as a real princess in this post.
I've relocated to a university that takes approximately three hours to commute to and from, by train and bus. It's relatively hassle-free, and when I schedule my use to coincide with off-peak rates, it's quite cheap, about $8 a day. Cheaper than if I used a car. The three hours don't feel that long, and once I get used to the movement of the train and overcome my severe motion sickness, I'm sure I could make good use of the time. I'm even sure I'll get used to the uncommon busy periods, the often loud and confused passengers, the occasional delays, and the rare-but-inescapable inquisitive strangers.

However, I struggle to come to terms with the idea that I might one day habituate to the filth lodged in every crevasse, indent or hole on the train. Whenever I board the train, my eyes are immediately drawn to the seat separators and I see the results of countless bored high schoolers, stressed university students, hungry businessmen and women, and sugar-fuelled children. From sandwiches, to Jaffas, to fruits and vegetables and things not from this planet. Its disgusting. Truly. I recall once noticing that the end of my scarf was sweeping back and forth over a particularly unpalatable mini-village of leftovers between my seat and the wall.

So I'm now attending a different university for my postgraduate studies. I've left a lot of friends and contacts behind while I try to "find myself" again in a completely new environment - both in location and area of study. I'm out of my element, and it's been a while since I've had to go through something like this. When I was younger, my parents travelled regularly and we moved from country to country. I was well-acquainted with "starting fresh". It was a little scary, but I'm the type of person who can generally find fun elements in most activities, and although I'm enjoying this process of learning as much as I can about the university and the way of life of these students, its a little challenging.

For one, the university it big. Very big. There are more international students here than I've seen in any university - and I've had some experience hanging around universities through my parents' work. Specifically in my courses, in an average class of about 60-70 students, about five are Australian. Five. I'm used to environments where those statistics are reversed. However, being interested in international organisations, I welcome the presence of more cultures.

It seems like the most trivial things can be a challenge when you're in a new environment. At my previous university, I would have LOVED to be able to sit peacefully, alone, enjoying a coffee and a book. I don't think I was ever able to do that, someone would always stop by to say more than hello. The university was relatively small-to-average sized, but I also knew a lot of people through clubs and societies. Moments of solitude are appreciated, however I enjoy a social life. Never have I been so conscious of it as I am now. Right now. Sitting at some computer, in some building, at a university I'm still learning about. I feel like a newly waxed leg. I like the change, but I'm hyper sensitive to my surroundings. I can't wait to acclimatise - in every sense of the word.

This new chapter will be interesting. I look forward to the challenge of sourcing like-minded students and creating new memories I can smile back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment